Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There were 8,764 craft breweries operating at the end of 2020, including 1,854 microbreweries, 3,219 brewpubs, 3,471 taproom breweries, and 220 regional craft breweries. Throughout the year, there were 716 new brewery openings and 346 closings.
Find more industry figures in the Stats and Data section.
No. In 2020, small and independent brewers collectively produced 23.1 million barrels of beer and realized a 9% decline, decreasing craft’s overall beer market share by volume to 12.3%, down from 13.6% the previous year.
Read the latest statistics press release.
Consult the State Stats page to learn more. State statistics are now updated through the end of 2020.
Press inquiries: Identify the Brewers Association (BA) media contact whose area of expertise matches your inquiry. Or, if you’ve worked with a BA spokesperson before, feel free to contact them directly.
Questions about industry statistics? Feel free to contact the BA’s chief economist, Bart Watson, Ph.D: 303-447-0816 x133.
Second annual Sovos ShipCompliant Beer DtC Shipping Report reveals majority of regular craft beer drinkers interested in DtC beer would be willing to spend $50 or more a month.Read More
Although there are no new style additions this year, the Brewers Association made many significant revisions and clarifications.Read More
The grant funds will help develop safety training to address draught beer hazards, operations, and maintenance.Read More
The Brewers Association looks back at a year filled with new growth, economic relief, supply chain disruptions, and innovation. Read More
Small Brewery Sunday returns for its third year on November 28. The annual celebration encourages beer lovers to support their local breweries during the holiday season and beyond.Read More
Join the worldwide celebration of the art of homebrewing by pledging to brew a batch of beer on November 6!Read More
World Beer Cup is a biennial beer competition that celebrates the global art and science of brewing. Registration opens on Oct. 26, 2021.Read More
Medals awarded to the best fresh hop beers in prestigious professional beer competition, the Great American Beer Festival.Read More
The world's largest commercial beer competition awarded 290 medals to 265 U.S. breweries.Read More
Pamela Brulotte, Steven Pauwels, and John Mallett were recognized with honors in the brewing community.Read More
The Brewers Association has staff experts that are available to the media to help with your story. Please visit the Statistics section of this website prior to setting up your media call.
Please contact Meg Weldon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-963-4873 x212 to set up a meeting with one of our spokespersons.
Bart Watson, Ph.D., Chief Economist
Bart is in charge of the BA’s statistical resources, including production surveys, economic analysis, and market research. In addition to providing industry data for members, his responsibilities include interacting with the media on economic and statistical issues. Email him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @BrewersStats.
Areas of expertise: Beer industry stats, craft beer market, economics of craft beer
Paul Gatza, Senior Vice President, Professional Brewing Division
Paul’s responsibilities include serving as a spokesman with the media for the national perspective on craft brewing and the enjoyment of craft beer, maintaining industry statistics, and helping BA members get information for their businesses. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of expertise: Societal trends in relation to craft brewers, regulations and government affairs, brewing history
Ann Obenchain, Marketing & Communications Director
Ann develops and leads the strategic direction of all BA marketing and communications activities, including key events such as the Great American Beer Festival. Ann serves as spokesperson with the media for BA events, including Great American Beer Festival, Craft Brewers Conference & BrewExpo America, World Beer Cup, Homebrew Con, and SAVOR. Email her at email@example.com and follow her on Twitter @AnnObenchain.
Areas of expertise: Event statistics and trends, general BA information
Read Ann’s marketing tips in her bi-monthly column in The New Brewer
General Media & Stock Image Inquiries
Contact Meg Weldon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970.963.4873 x212
Legislative Public Affairs Inquiries
Contact Ann Obenchain at email@example.com or 720.473.5341
The Brewers Association is pleased to offer a wide variety of images to qualified journalists.Please contact Jenelle Scott with your needs. Your request will be processed within two business days. If you are on an immediate deadline, please indicate that in your initial request.
Please visit these event websites for hi-resolution images.
Identify the BA Media Contact whose area of expertise matches your inquiry. Or, if you’ve worked with a BA spokesperson before, feel free to contact them directly.
Members of the media that are not already receiving information from the Brewers Association (BA) are invited to apply to be added to our media list. Throughout the year the BA disseminates a series of releases on the association news, and small and independent craft brewers.
By filling out this form you are applying to receive BA press releases as a journalist who covers beer. If you are not a media representative please do not apply.
Since 1987, the Brewers Association has been recognizing individuals who inspire, defend and innovate within the craft brewing industry.
In addition to the individual awards for brewers, the BA also conducts two prestigious national and international brewing competitions.
Brewers Association Recognition Award
The Brewers Association Recognition Award is presented each year to an individual or company whose inspiration, enthusiasm and support have contributed to the craft brewing movement
- 2021 – John Mallett, Bell’s Brewery, Inc.
- 2020 – Oscar Wong, Highland Brewing Co.
- 2019 – Kim Jordan, New Belgium Brewing Company
- 2018 – Charles Bamforth, UC Davis
- 2017 – Vinnie & Natalie Cilurzo, Russian River Brewing Co.
- 2016 – Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head Brewery
- 2015 – Dave and Diane Alexander, Brickskeller
- 2014 – Teri Fahrendorf, Founder of Pink Boots Society
- 2013 – Art Larrance, Cascade Brewing/Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub
- 2012 – Doug Odell, Wynne Odell and Corkie Odell, Odell Brewing Co.
- 2011 – John McDonald, Boulevard Brewing Co.
- 2010 – Larry Bell, Bell’s Brewery, Inc.
- 2009 – Ken Allen, Anderson Valley Brewing Co.
- 2008 – Dr. Michael Lewis, U.C. Davis
- 2007 – Jack McAuliffe, New Albion Brewing Co.
- 2006 – Chuck Skypeck, Boscos Brewing Co.
- 2005 – Carol Stoudt, Stoudts Brewing Company
- 2004 – Jack Joyce, Rogue Ales
- 2003 – Mary-Anne Gruber, Briess Malting Co.
- 2002 – George Fix, Clemson University
- 2001 – Jim and Bobbie Kennedy, Admiralty Beverage Russell
- 2000 – Ralph Olson and Ralph Woodall, Hopunion CBS, LLC
- 1999 – Bill Owens, American Brewer Magazine
- 1998 – Charles Finkel, Merchant du Vin
- 1997 – Jim Koch and Rhonda Kallman, Boston Beer Co.
- 1996 – Karl Strauss, Karl M. Strauss Consulting
- 1995 – John Hickenlooper and Russell Schehrer, Wynkoop Brewing Co.
- 1994 – Fred Scheer, Frankenmuth Brewery
- 1993 – Jeff Mendel, Institute for Brewing Studies
- 1992 – Paul Shipman, Red Hook Ale Brewery
- 1991 – Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- 1990 – Bert Grant, Yakima Brewing and Malting
- 1989 – Roger Briess, Briess Malting Co.
- 1988 – Fritz Maytag, Anchor Brewing Co.
- 1987 – Michael Jackson
The call for nominations is announced on the Brewers Association Forum and begins approximately three months before the Craft Brewers Conference. The Brewers Association Board of Directors votes to determine the winner.
F.X. Matt Defense of the Craft Brewing Industry Award
This award is named for the late F.X. Matt, president of the F.X. Matt Brewing Co. in Utica, N.Y., from 1980-1989, and a tireless and outspoken champion for the small brewing industry.
- 2021 – Pamela Brulotte, Icicle Brewing Co.
- 2020 – Adam DeBower, Austin Beerworks
- 2019 – Danielle D’Alessandro, Illinois Craft Brewers Guild
- 2018 – Nancy Palmer, Georgia Craft Brewers Guild
- 2017 – Matt McLaughlin, McLaughlin, PC/Mississippi Brewers Guild
- 2016 – Nick Matt, F.X. Matt Brewing Co.
- 2015 – Brook Bristow, South Carolina Brewers Guild
- 2014 – Jester King Brewery, Austin, Texas
- 2013 – David Katleski, New York State Craft Brewers Guild/Empire Brewing Co
- 2012 – Tom McCormick, California Craft Brewers Association
- 2011 – Dan Kopman,St. Louis Brewery/Schlafly Beer
- 2010 – Steve Hindy, The Brooklyn Brewery
- 2009 – Eric Wallace, Left Hand Brewing Company
- 2008 – John Carlson, Colorado Brewers Guild
- 2007 – George Hancock, Pyramid Brewing Co.
- 2006 – Daniel Bradford, past BAA President
- 2005 – Marc Sorini, McDermott Will & Emery
- 2004 – Marc Sorini, BAA Counsel
- 2003 – Jim Parker, Oregon Brewers Guild
- 2002 – Mike McKinney, Texas Wholesalers Association
- 2001 – David Edgar, Past Institute for Brewing Studies Director
- 2000 – Fred Bowman, Portland Brewing Co.
Nominations are open to individuals who have given aid and support to the causes of small, independent brewers, and by doing so have supported the Brewers Association’s goal of vigorously defending the craft beer industry.
Call for nominations is announced on the Brewers Association Forum and begins approximately three months before the Craft Brewers Conference.
Russell Schehrer Award for Innovation in Craft Brewing
Russell Schehrer was a founding partner and the original head brewer at Denver’s Wynkoop Brewing Company. He passed away in 1996 at the age of 38. While he will always be fondly remembered for his special charm and sense of humor that knew no boundaries, the Brewers Association continues to honor Russell for his contributions to the brewing industry. Besides helping establish the first brewpub in Colorado, he was the first (or one of the first) microbrewers to produce mead, doppel alt, cream stout, and chili beer.
- 2021 – Steven Pauwels, Boulevard Brewing Co.
- 2020 – Brendan McGivney, Odell Brewing Co.
- 2019 – Lauren Woods Limbach, New Belgium Brewing Company
- 2018 – Tomme Arthur, Port Brewing Co./The Lost Abbey
- 2017 – Will Meyers, Cambridge Brewing Co.
- 2016 – Jason Perkins, Allagash Brewing Co.
- 2015 – Steve Dresler, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- 2014 – Mitch Steele, Stone Brewering Company
- 2013 – Peter Bouckaert, New Belgium Brewing Co.
- 2012 – James Ottolini, St. Louis Brewery, Inc.
- 2011 – Jennifer Talley, Squatters Pub Brewery/Salt Lake Brewing Co.
- 2010 – Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
- 2009 – Steve Parkes, American Brewers Guild
- 2008 – Vinnie Cilurzo, Russian River Brewing Company
- 2007 – Matt Brynildson, Firestone Walker Brewing Company
- 2006 – Dan Carey, New Glarus Brewing Company
- 2005 – Greg Noonan, Vermont Pub and Brewery
- 2004 – Dick Cantwell, Elysian Brewing Company
- 2003 – Phil Markowski, Southampton Publick House
- 2002 – John Mallett, Kalamazoo Brewing Co.
- 2001 – John Harris, Full Sail Brewing Co.
- 2000 – Mark Carpenter, Anchor Brewing Co.
- 1999 – Fal Allen, Pike Brewing; Anderson Valley Brewing Co.
- 1998 – Garrett Oliver, The Brooklyn Brewery
- 1997 – John Maier, Oregon Brewing Co./Rogue Ales
Call for nominations is announced on the Brewers Association Forum and begins approximately three months before the Craft Brewers Conference. The winner is determined by vote from past winners of the award.
Brewers Association Craft Beer Wholesaler of the Year
The Brewers Association (BA) formerly presented the Craft Beer Wholesaler of the Year Award. The award recognized an American beer distributor who went above and beyond in their efforts to actively market, sell, and promote beer from small and independent brewers.
Elite Brands of Colorado – Denver, CO
Odom Corporation – Coeur d’Alene, ID
From 2007 through 2014, the Brewers Association partnered with the National Beer Wholesalers Association to present the Craft Beer Distributor of the Year Award, Achievement Award and Recognition Award. The history of those award recipients is below:
Winner – J.J. Taylor Distributing Florida, Inc. – FL
Achievement – Windy City Distributing, LLC – IL
Recognition – Maletis Beverage – OR
Winner – DeCrescente Distributing Company – NY
Achievement – Central States Beverage Company – MO
Recognition – Mussetter Beverage – CA
Winner – Brown Distributing Company – FL
Achievement – DeCrescente Distributing Company – NY
Recognition – Tryon Distributing – NC
Winner – Powers Distributing Company – MI
Achievement – J.J. Taylor Distributing – FL
Recognition – Gretz Beer Company – PA
Winner – Imperial Beverage – MI
Achievement – Andrews Distributing – TX
Recognition – L. Knife & Son – MA
Winner – Origlio Beverage – PA
Achievement – National Distributing Company of New Mexico – NM
Recognition – Muller, Inc. – PA
Winner – Click Wholesale Distributing – WA
Achievement – Premium Distributors of Washington, D.C., LLC – DC
Recognition – Little Guy Distributing – AZ
Winner – Monarch Beverage Company – IN
Achievement – Louis Glunz, Inc. – IL
Recognition – Cavalier Distributing Co. – OH
Nominations are due in mid to late-February. The award is presented at the Craft Brewers Conference hosted by the Brewers Association. For more details, please visit the official nomination form or the BA’s distributor considerations page for information on the criteria used to select the winner.